Neurolinguistic Programming: 20 Daily Affirmations to See You Through
During high-stress times, how you speak to yourself matters.
Those who have had the pleasure of practicing daily affirmations know how powerful they can be. When practiced consistently, the use of intentional language can calm the mind, reshape counter-productive thoughts, and establish constructive patterns. Before sharing a list of 20 powerful affirmations, let’s take a moment to understand how we process them.
We know that the brain acts as our main control center. Yet, we often overlook the fact that our brains drift between two modes: one conscious, the other unconscious or subconscious.
The latter mode is where action and thought occur without much awareness. Think about how your mind wanders as you drive your normal route home. Your unconscious mind functions from instinct. A signal here, a turn there until you end up at your familiar location.
Now consider reading a map to get to an unknown location for the first time. In this case, your conscious mind is hard at work. Perhaps looking for the right street, or making sure you’re aware of stop signs and turn signals. Your awareness is heightened.
The conscious and subconscious mind have a collaborative relationship. They depend on each other to help us function at our best. Since the subconscious guides what we do automatically, increasing intentional awareness helps align the subconscious with the conscious. Aligning both areas of the mind allow you to take action based on meaningful insight, not impulsive or unstable instincts.
A process known as neurolinguistic programming (NLP) supports this. The process isn’t nearly as intimidating as it sounds, so let’s quickly break it down.
Neuro: refers to your brain and nervous system.
Linguistic: a combination of verbal and non-verbal language used to communicate.
Programming: a systematic approach to thought-work and language that influence behavioral patterns.
To help maintain a healthy grasp on my mind during this period of global chaos, I’ve created a list of 20 affirmations to speak to myself. They are simple, yet hold substantial meaning. Use them to nourish the subconscious and connect to your consciousness.
These can be repeated as often as feels right. They can be read aloud, to yourself, or shared with others. Write them down. Sing them. Look in the mirror. Do whatever you need to do. Just allow yourself to feel them and say them with conviction.
- I have all that I need to be well in this present moment.
- I can feel my breath flow in and out.
- My body will not fail me.
- The world is full of resources. They flow to me easily.
- I have the ability to give.
- I have the capacity to receive.
- The world is making space for progress.
- My feet are firmly planted. I am solid.
- The ground beneath me is stable.
- I embrace this period of rest.
- I am allowed to relax.
- My loved-ones are safe, healthy, and here.
- I am focused on what is within my control.
- I am well-informed, not overwhelmed.
- Money is circulating. It will come to me as I need it.
- Matters beyond my control are sorting themselves out.
- I have much to be grateful for.
- I release easily and know things will flow back to me abundantly.
- I am responsible for my thoughts, feeling, and emotions.
- I allow myself to feel deeply and detach.
Stay grounded, my friends.
Molden, D., & Hutchinson, P. (2015). Brilliant NLP. [electronic resource] (1st edition). Pearson Education Limited.